Monday, August 4, 2008

Journey to Washington DC

A chapter in our lives has closed.

It is a long story how it all came about - and I will post that as soon as the chaos slows down.
But the short of it is that we are moving to Washington DC in 4 weeks to work in the Protege Program at National Community Church where Mark Batterson is the lead pastor (Author of: In a Pit with a Lion on A Snowy Day).

We resigned from our role as Senior Pastor of Huntsville First Assembly August 3rd. We will remain at the church through Labor Day. We will move somewhere around September 3rd.

We have more questions than answers - but we have a deep abiding peace that this is God's destiny for us.

Brad will be training in the area of multi-media and video ministry (surprise, surprise!) and I will be connecting in the area of children's ministry.
We must be crazy. We will have no salary for one year. We are leaving everything we know.
But we are waiting and watching as God puts the pieces of the puzzle together.
------------------
PLEASE PRAY:
I had so many friends pray SPECIFICALLY over our adoption journey - and God answered EVERY request. So it dawned on me tonight as I am agonizing over some needs we have - that I needed to ask you all to agree with us in prayer and bombard heaven with these requests!

1. We need a place to live. I have been making contacts and sending emails and purusing the rental websites....and praying for a miracle. The cost of living in DC is more than most places - we have been told to expect to pay $1200 - $2200 monthly (or more) for rent. Whew! I have been praying that SOMEONE with a house/apartment will connect with us and FEEL LED to make us a miracle deal. Free would be even better! :)

Please pray that God would give us direction and peace in this decision. We want to have a clean, safe place for our 2 little girls.

Location is another issue. Houses are cheaper further out of DC - but the commute is like an hour or more. We really need something on Capitol Hill - close to the church offices.

So please pray specifically!

2. I filled out an application for a rental and am very suspicious they were trying to scam us. Please pray that God will protect our identity.

3. We need to sell our last two puppies and sell our Expedition and sell some furniture - all money for rent! Please pray that these things will sell and bring top dollar.

4. We need people to support us as missionaries for the year. Please pray that God will direct people's hearts. Lesia is helping me set up automatic draft through our church for monthly supporters.
5. We need God's FAVOR in everything we do this year.

6. Pray that we will LEARN all that God has for us and that we will be a blessing to those we work for.

7. Pray for our health and protection.

8. PRAY that we can find someone who can help us with the girls. We need someone that can help with them on Sundays because we will have a lot of responsibilites that day. We also need childcare for 2 days a week while I work at the church office. We don't feel comfortable leaving the girls with just anyone. We need favor and direction. THIS IS A BIG ONE.

Thank you so much for praying with us. We believe in the power of our God to answer!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey guys! Believe it or not, without knowing anything about your story and how God has lead you to NCC, I feel that I can identify with you. I know what it takes to make a move like that and how much you have had to agonize in prayer.

You guys are going to do great...be great...and get along great. When I read your blog, I just knew it. Have a great time.

-paul church

LJ said...

While I'm sad you're leaving this area, I know this is what you've been praying for. I believe in my heart that you'll both be very successful. Please keep in touch.
~Lois

The Oswalds said...

Wow! Congrats! Look forward to seeing you guys! Let us know when you get here etc.

Love,
The Oswalds

Jodi Rathjen said...

We will have to have another mini reunion! we are only 6 hours from Washington and would love to have another reason to come down again! or you can take a road trip to NY with the Oswald's and we can have a big party in the fall up here! God bless you all we will be praying for you!
Love
The Rathjen's

Beth said...

Jeremy and I are so excited for you. We know you will do an awesome job and God will continue to bless you.

Tina said...

Best of luck. I'm sad to hear that your leaving. However you know my email address so please stay in touch.

The Cornelisons

Lynne Copeland said...

How exciting! We look forward to having you closer to us! I hope we can get together soon. Our next reunion will be that much better with you guys around. We are only about 3 hours from DC. Good luck and let us know when you get in your new place.
Love,
The Copelands

Rusty L. Blann said...

I am so proud of you guys. Just as God miraculously provided for you to be able to bring Mia into all of our lives, He will now miraculously provide as you follow His direction. I believe strongly that when you find God's Will, you will also find His Way. I love you all very much, and will continue to pray with you. I can't wait to watch what God does for you in your journey!

Dad

The Jordan Family said...

First, I want to say that I am so excited that you will be closer to us and that I hope we can get together soon! Next, I want to reaffirm what you already know. Where God guides, he provides! This is a belief we stick to in our family. There have been many times in the journeys of our family that we have followed God in the path of the "unknown". We walked out of our comfort zone totally relying on God's guidance and by faith believing that He had the answers. So many times people would think we were crazy, but we knew that God was calling us and that He would supply every need according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus! Cling to God's Word and stay on your knees and I will pray specifically that God will protect your mind from Satan's doubts and that all your needs will be met in his time. Rely on the promises in his Word and his peace will transcend all. (Philippians 4:6-7)
We love you guys and will be praying for you!

Matt & Allison Jordan (Ben, Callie & Caleb)

Chris Jarrell said...

Brad and Glenda, so excited about having the both of you as part of our NCC Team. Looking forward to getting to know you both and your beautiful kids.

If there is anything we can do to help with your transition here to DC, please let us know.

My wife Lora's email is lorafayre@gmail.com
My email is
chris.jarrell@theaterchurch.com

Looking forward to connecting soon.

Chris

chinababymom said...

Congrats, McMath family! We will of course be praying for you and this journey!! I'm so jealous that you will be near so many people from our group...we want to be too :) If y'all plan another mini reunion, let us know...we'll be there. We are 12 hours away but it would be worth the drive! Love to you all!!!
The Cardwell Family